Go Deep Underground on our historic slate mine tour! Learn about our 450-million-year-old volcanic green slate.
The highlight of any visit to Honister Slate Mine must be our fully-guided underground tour! Go Deep Underground.
Experience Honister’s rich mining history for yourself! Delve deep within our underground tunnels and caverns in the magnificent Fleetwith Pike and experience first-hand what life was like for the miners through the ages, listen to the story of 8-year-old John Taylor and learn how Slate mining at Honister progressed through his lifetime.
Enhanced reality technology and explosive special effects will transport you to another time and place. Perfect for wet weather and families of all ages! The highlight of any visit to Honister Slate Mine must be our fully-guided underground tour!
Mine tours take approximately 90 minutes, involve uneven terrain plus descending approximately 50 steps (with a handrail)
Please note the tour includes illuminations and a mock explosion.
- Prices from £9.50 Child, £17.50 Adult, Family Ticket £49.00 (2 Adults and 2 Children)
Please note – masks must be worn inside our building and on all buses when travelling to the start of activities.
- ALL WEATHER adventure, perfect for a rainy day.
- Times: multiple times daily & runs 7 days a week.
- Duration: Tours take approx. 1.5 hours
- Suitable for ALL ages
- Clothing: Please come prepared with warm clothing and sensible footwear. Safety helmets and lamps will be provided by Honister on arrival.