Stonemason / Craftsman
Honister Slate Mine is the last working Slate Mine in England and we are looking to expand our team and welcome a new team member to our workshop.
We are based at the summit of Honister pass and we have a fully operational slate mine working 7 days a week to keep up with demand for this unique volcanic slate with its rich deep green hue. Our customers are both trade and public, all looking to have a part of a Lake District Mountain as part of their project.
Our time served craftsmen work alongside this magnificent stone to produce a wide range of goods, from kitchen worktops, fire hearths, dining products and accessories to headstones, garden benches, house signs, aggregates, and flooring plus many more bespoke items in both commercial and residential projects. We love a challenge and take immense pride in not just the quality of the stone we work alongside but, in the craftsmanship and care put into producing these items.
We ask that you come with a strong work ethic, common sense, and a desire to learn along with efficient time keeping and a drive to succeed whilst also being trusted to work independently to time deadlines with good communication skills.
All training will be provided onsite, and no experience is needed however you will need to be physically fit due to the labour-intensive nature of this role.
Your duties will include cutting, slabbing, and polishing stone, working on bespoke items with customised measurements, and working in a stone masons workshop environment.
Any of the below skills are an advantage to succeed in this role however not compulsory:
- Using hand and power tools to shape, trim, cut stones and polish slate
- Experience with slate and/or wood
- Working as a team and self-managed.
- Can work under pressure
- Forklift and heavy plant experience
- A valid UK driving license held for three years and more.
- Full time position and weekends, pay depends on your experience
- Accommodation can also be provided for full time position
- If you interested please email your CV to email@example.com